Tuesday, October 13, 2015

School board choices....

I am not a political person. I am not going to lie when i say I have voted in many elections just by listening to my dad or my husband. There aren't many things I am invested enough personally to have a strong opinion on when it comes to voting, except the Oak Hills School Board.

 In the last election I knew who I was voting for and I was a proud backer of each of those people. This time around there are 3 opponents running for 2 open spots. To me, there are really only 2 choices.
 
You see I spend a lot of time in the district. I attend events and volunteer.  I am at meetings and I have been around awhile now. I pay close attention to who does what, I know who cares about our schools and our kids. I can't tell you the last time I have attended anything for our district where Jan Hunter wasn't there. She is at everything and is a positive voice for our district. She was on our original levy committee and is one of the first people I go to with questions for anything PTA. She has spent years invested in our district and the last few years as a board member. She is up for re-election. 

Another face (and voice;) who is at everything is Linus Ryland. He is the PTA dad. He is more knowledgable on Robert's Rules than anyone I know. He attends and reports back at every oak hills board meeting. He has children in the schools and a vested interest in the future of the district.  I have always looked to him as someone who not only knows the district, but cares. He is a volunteer like me, yet he has the knowledge and the drive to be so much more! 

I am sorry to say I do not know the third candidate. I have heard his name a few times, Cooper, I believe. This in of itself speaks volumes to me. If I am in a place where I have had countless interactions with both Linus and Jan, but have yet to meet the third candidate, I believe that speaks of his concern for our district on some level. 

I will be at the meet the candidates forum on October 21 at RRMS at 7 pm and I urge you to go as well. The best thing we can do for the future of our schools is make an informed decision on who is in charge.

 This is that chance. 

I know this is only the two cents of a parent in the district. But, if anyone is voting for school board like I have voted in the past and needs a little help with their choices, Ryland and Hunter are getting my votes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment