Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Snuggle conversation

Tonight Wy and I were snuggling in my bed before bedtime. We had read his book and talked about what he wants for lunch. I thought he was starting to drift off to sleep when he asked me a question. 

Mom, how did I get home when I was a baby?

I was caught off guard at the question and not sure about what answer he was looking for. I asked him what he meant and he said like we brought Sammi home. I told him that his belly mommy took him home with her and took care of him. He then asked if if he could meet her again. I gave an honest answer that I am not sure where she is now. I told him  that God knew he belonged with us and his belly mommy helped make that happen. 
He asked about Mrs. Moore, his foster mom, and said did she adopt me? I told him no, only his forever family adopted him. He talked about when we came to get him and how he was looking out the window with pup pup and how we went to skyline for our first meal together. About getting his first sippy cup of juice and if he went to the pantry. The stories I have told him many times. He talked about wanting to go see his foster home again.  I told him I would be happy to take him back there soon. He has been once since he left and we still keep in touch with his foster family. He asked me how I found him. How far away he was from us.  He asked if he had brothers. I responded yes, foster brothers, but I can't remember their names. The thing he said next struck me- it is the first time he has ever said anything about his time before us. 
He said when he lived there he played with a dump truck in the wash room. This is a word I have never used. That no one  I can think of uses, so I wonder if this is a memory. Is this something he has always remembered or did it just come back? 
I promised him I will always answer everything I can for him and explain everything as best as I know. I told him for the ten thousandth time how much I loved him and how thankful I am that God brought him to us.
 He then went on taking about eating lunch in the classroom and how much fun he would have tomorrow. 
I am so thankful that he asks these questions and that we have told him the parts of his story that are good for him to know. The truth is his life and his story started long before our paths crossed. The insightful and sensitive little boy he has become began long before he called me mommy. I pray that I can continue to help him find answers and discover all of who he is. That we can continue to tell him stories of him as a baby. One snuggle conversation at a time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment