Monday, April 25, 2016

Toilet talk at Target


The media is on fire with toilet talk.

Target has announced that they will still allow transgendered people to use the restroom with which gender they associate.

"In our stores, we demonstrate our commitment to an inclusive experience in many ways. Most relevant for the conversations currently underway, we welcome transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity."

People everywhere are freaking out. Boycotting target and calling for changes. 
 I think the most important thing to point out is that it isn't a new thing! This is just reiterating the fact that they have always and continue to stand for inclusivity. 

The title of the article is CONTINUING to Stand for Equality. 


There is no change in the way they are handling the situation, they have always had this stance. 

I have been to Target three times in the last three days. Just normal Target shopping for me. I used the bathroom 3 times too. I made it! My kids even used the bathroom, they are fine too.

Just as every other trip to Target we have made in the past 10 years we used the bathroom and we didn't look at the other people in the stalls next to us close enough to know the gender they were born. We just did our business and went about our day.

When I thought about the outrage against Target I thought about the people who are Transgender who have been using whichever bathroom they want for years. There have been people shopping with you, smiling and saying hello, using the bathroom in the stall next to you- who are and have been transgender - for years! In the big vast scheme of things this has never before had an affect on your life and it will continue to not have an affect on your life.

A good friend of mine posted on Facebook and said -

"A person willing to commit a crime against a woman or child - or anyone for that matter - doesn't care what the sign on the bathroom door says. Just my $0.02 on the matter. "

YES!!

I have family and friends who will hate this post. I see that. I try and understand how they feel. I realize they have concerns and that they have fears of the unknown. I don't want to discount those concerns. But, I have friends who live this life. Who want the best for their own kids as well. I try to put myself in the other person's shoes in a matter like this and I try to see both sides.

When it comes down to it I think Target was trying to make a statement. I think they wanted to let their employees and customers know they are all inclusive, which I think is awesome. But, in doing that they brought issues upon themselves that were completely unnecessary.

The last I checked there weren't bathroom police anywhere. No one checks your genetalia before entering the bathroom. So even without their new policy those who were living as another gender would still be able to go on just like they have before. The only difference that people fear is that those abusing the policy now have access. (Note that these people would have had the exact same access to any restroom before this as well, still no gender identity checker to go through)

And let us not forget, at Target there is always the family bathroom! Anyone and everyone- usually me and 3 kids - are always welcome. No one gets offended and we can all pee together. The intention of target to make a statement may have been a good one, but sometimes leaving well enough alone is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment