Sunday, January 21, 2024

Stronger (update on Sam)


 This Girl CAN!! 

I can’t even begin to explain the level of pride and disbelief I feel looking at our girl. The last few weeks have brought so much growth, bravery and strength. She has fought through the things that once caused her paralyzing fear and moved forward further than even she thought she could. 

She has gone from a pale shell of herself, frail and thin, to a girl working to get her muscles back.


She is determined and she is ready. She has continued OT and has been doing big things. She even climbed on the play set this week! Jumping and attempting to run. Things her body wouldn’t allow her to do a month ago. She has been walking the stairs using every other foot and even carrying things with her when she walks.

She is so proud each session to show her OT, Sarah, what she can do. Sarah has been blown away at her progress too and said she is ready to add in PT to help. This is a step we hadn’t expected this soon and we are excited to get it started. 

Her appetite is back! She has been requesting snacks between meals and desserts! Tonight I was at Kroger and I actually got tears in my eyes as I grabbed ice cream sandwiches that she had requested. It was only a few weeks ago I was in tears searching the protein content on liquids I could maybe get her to ingest. Knowing nothing I bought would be welcome. 

She is one of the “coaches” now for the basketball team she was originally playing on.


Her coaches are amazing friends who made her feel so welcome and even got her a uniform to wear while she coaches at the games. When I say our village is in the best, this is what I am talking about! 

She asked to play in the snow this week. As we got her ready she looked at me and said, “a few weeks ago I couldn’t have done this, I wouldn’t have been able to play”.


She is right. She could barely walk. But, she put her stuff on and she played in the snow. She pulled her friend on a sled (which is something she does in OT:) she even rode the sleds down a hill. She was so excited to be out there with her friends. 

Her journey is far from over. She has a lot more work to do and months of therapy. FND is something that may flare. She may have setbacks. She may never notice it again. One thing is for sure, she is a fighter!! She is a tough cookie and that sassy part of her has made her work harder and get better.

 This week our girl turns 9. We are so happy to celebrate all of her achievements and every part of who she is! Please keep the prayers coming as we continue this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment